Email address: info (a) paprikaapartment ! com Phone number: +36 30 346 76 06
  • English
  • Deutsch
  • Magyar
Book now

Szechenyi Bath and Spa Budapest

The Széchenyi Thermal Bath is o¬ne of the largest spa complexes in Europe. It's also the first thermal bath of Pest. It owes its existence to Vilmos Zsigmondy, a mining engineer. o¬n his initiative, successful deep borings had been performed in the City Park, where later, in 1881 already an "Artesian bath" was in operation. However, this temporary type of bath was meeting the demands of the age less and less, so the Széchenyi Thermal Bath was built in 1913 o¬n the basis of plans composed by Gyozo Czigler. The Bath was expanded in 1927 with a public bathing department for gentlemen and ladies and a beach site. In the middle of the 1960s, further transformations took place, including the creation of a group thermal section in bathing suits as well as a daytime outpatient hospital (complex physiotherapy department).
The reconstruction of the pools of the swimming section, their equipment with water filtering and circulation devices was completed in 1999. The so-called fancy bath includes a whirling corridor, underwater effervescence production, neck shower, water beam back massage installed in the sitting banks and many other services.
This complex has 18 pools, 3 outdoor and 15 indoor pool. The swimming pool and thermal sections are mixed. Every pool have different temperature between 22-42 °C.
How to reach it by public transport from Paprika Apartment: Take the Metro line Number 1 (yellow line)  at Deák Ferenc Square. Go 8 stops, till station „Széchenyi fürdő”
Homepage:  http://szechenyibath.hu

Gellert Baths and Spa Budapest

We find records about the "miraculous" springs spurting up o¬n the territory of the Bath from as early a date as the 15th century. These springs were later favoured by the Turks as well, as they were larger and hotter than the Buda baths of the period. In the 17th century, the site was named Sárosfürdő (Mud bath) because of the fine spring silt that was pushed up together with the spring water and settled at the bottom of the pools.
The Gellért Thermal Bath and Hotel, known world-wide and highly favoured by foreigners, built in a secession style, opened its gates in 1918 and was expanded in 1927 by the wave-bath and in 1934 by the effervescent bath. In the course of the modernisation accomplished in our days, the sitting-pool in the swimming complex, the outdoor sitting pool and the children's pool were renovated; they were equipped with a state-of-the art water filtering and circulation device. At present, nearly all healing facilities may be used in the Gellért Thermal Bath. The Bath includes a department offering complex thermal bath acilities (daytime/outpatient hospital), it also has an inhalatorium.
This complex has 13 pools, 3 outdoor, and 10 indoor pools. The thermal pools are opened every day but it is separated for women and men (except Sunday).
How to reach it by public transport from Paprika Apartment: Take the tram number 47 or 49  at Deák Ferenc Square. Go 4 stops, till station „Szent Gellért tér”.
Homepage: http://gellertbath.hu

Rudas thermal Bath

The centerpiece of the bath today, the Turkish bath, was built during the 16th century in the period of the Turkish occupation. Below the 10 m diameter dome, sustained by 8 pillars, there is an octagonal pool. The thermal bath has been visited from 1936 o¬n exclusively by men. The swimming pool, operating as a therapeutic swimming facility and with a sauna, was built in 1896.
In its drinking hall, the water of the springs Hungária, Attila and Juventus can be consumed for the purposes of a drinking cure. In the bath, there is a daytime outpatient hospital operating with a complex physiotherapy department.
This complex has 6 indoor thermal pools, and 1 indoor  swimmingpool. The thermal spa is separated for women and men on weekdays.
For women: Tuesday
For men: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday , Friday,
Group use: Sunday,Saturday

How to reach it by public transport from Paprika Apartment: The Rudas thermal bath is located at the foot of the Buda bridgehead of the Elizabeth bridge. Take a short walk to „Astoria’ where you can catch the bus number 7. Go 2 stops, till station „Rudas gyógyfürdő”
Homepage: http://en.rudasfurdo.hu

Sights of the Castle Hill

How to reach it by public transport from Paprika Apartment: Take a short walk to „Erzsébet tér” where you find the bus number 16. Go 5 stops, till „Dísz tér”.If you want to start at Mátyás Church and Fishermen's Bastion, you have to go 6 stops, till „Szentháromság tér”. Another possibility is to take off from the bus at the station „Clark Ádám tér”. From there you can use the Funicular / Silkó.
Castle Hill: It has been a cultural and strategic focal point of the city for centuries and was also the site of over 30 sieges. The inevitable damage resulted in several episodes of rebuilding, often re-using stones from the rubble and lending to the district a fascinating mix of architectural styles. The showpieces are the spectacular Mátyás Church and the Buda Royal Palace to the south. In addition, the views over Pest from the Fishermen's Bastion will take your breath away.
Buda Royal Palace: The enormous building at the southern end of Castle Hill has been the royal palace, in various styles and guises, since the 14th century. It was rebuilt 400 years later and required major reconstruction work after World War II. It now houses the Budapest History Museum, the Hungarian National Gallery and the National Széchenyi Library.
Fishermen's Bastion:
The Fishermen's Bastion (Halászbástya) is often the first stop for tourists visiting Budapest, the fairytale turrets offering an elevated vantage point from which to view the city. The minarets and walls look medieval, but they were actually built in 1902 by Frigyes Schulek to complement Mátyás Church.

Mátyás Church: According to church tradition, it was originally built in Romanesque style in 1015. The current building was constructed in the florid late Gothic style in the second half of the 14th century and was extensively restored in the late 19th century. It was the second largest church of medieval Buda and the seventh largest church of medieval Hungarian Kingdom.

    

Funicular / Silkó

This 100 metres long lane opened in 1870. The concept behind its construction was to provide cheap transportation for state officials working in the Castle Area. At the beginning it worked by steam engine, but today’s carts are driven by electricity. The two carts are connected by a strong steel cable which makes them moving in a way like a pendulum; every time one goes upwards the other goes down simultaneously.
It is opened every day between 7:30 – 22:00.

Chain bridge

The Chain Bridge was the first permanent stone-bridge connecting Pest and Buda, and only the second permanent crossing on the whole length of the river Danube. It is one of the symbolic buildings of Budapest, the most widely known bridge of the Hungarian capital. Its construction was proposed by Count István Széchenyi, one of the leading figures in 18th century Hungary. Its official name is Széchenyi Chain Bridge. Works were started in 1839 to the plans of English engineer William Tierney Clark. The iron chains, on which the road-bed hangs, are held by two 48-meter river piers in classicist style. From here comes the name "Chain Bridge".
How to reach it by public transport from Paprika Apartment: Take a short walk to „Erzsébet tér” where you find the bus number 16. Go 2 stops, till „Széchenyi István tér.

Parliament:

The world's second largest parliament building is a postcard favourite, particularly when reflected in the River Danube below it.  As the millennial celebrations of 1896 approached, the nation's demand for representation channelled the conception of a unique Parliament building. The Palace of Westminster in part inspired the design, but a well-known Hungarian architect, Imre Steindl, laid out the plans in their entirety. The building stretches 268 meters in its length, along the Danube embankment. Ornamented with white neo-gothic turrets and arches, it forms the most outstanding landmark of the Pest side horizon. Statues of Hungarian monarchs and military commanders decorate the outer walls. The unique interior design includes huge halls, over 12,5 miles of corridors, a 96-meter high central dome, and 691 rooms. When the Parliament is not in session, all these can be visited (cameras are allowed).

Homepage: http://www.parlament.hu/angol/eng/tajekoztato.htm

How to reach it by public transport from Paprika Apartment: Take the Metro line number 2 (red line) at Deák Ferenc tér. Go 1 stop, till station „Kossuth Lajos tér”.
St Stephen's Basilica
Named after Szent István (St Stephen) founder of the Hungarian Christian state, the basilica is visible from all over Budapest. The dome, at 315 ft is the exact height as that of the Parliament, whose builders decided not to go higher. Construction on the Bazilika was completed in 1905 after over 50 years of construction. The dome collapsed in 1868, requiring the builders to start over from the ground up. Today, the basilica's facade overlooks the grand Szent István tér (St. Stephen's Square), a great place to enjoy coffee at open-air cafes.